Dec 14, 2017
"You shattered my darkness... I'm alive again."
These are lyrics from Alive Again by Matt Maher. When clients ask Matt what "walk-on song" he wants playing when he goes on stage to speak, this is the song he picks.
Matt is an internationally acclaimed Christian singer; earlier this year he performed at World Youth Day in Rio in front of 3 million people.
Matt teaches us that faith exists so you come to know how loved you are...so that you might be motivated by that love to live a life of abundance, outwardly focused. He shows us that the moments that bring us to our knees can be our greatest teachers and when your interior needs are met, you're free to give of yourself.
Today, he joins us to talk about his faith, life, music and what it means for your life.
MATT MAHER'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? A Grief Observed by CS Lewis, which is the journal entries after the death of his wife. It revealed to me that I didn't know how to love and that I wanted to love a woman like that. For me, it is so hopeful and beautiful because it led me to my wife.
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. What would you do with it? Pay off all my families' debts and set up a foundation. I contracted Hep C when I was 13 getting a blood transfusion. I was cured 3 years ago because of medical advancement. I want to help kids who have blood disorders and aren't able to have a normal life because of it.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? One of my guitars a youth minister gave me - a 1964 Gibson J45 that belonged to his grandfather.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Tom Petty. He's the one who pops into my head. You might think, what about Mother Teresa or Pope John Paul? But no. It's Tom Petty!
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? I once heard someone ask how to become a better songwriter. The response was: Go get your heart broken.
6. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself at age 20? Stop talking. Listen to the world around you. Older people, like my grandpa, had a greater appreciation for the stillness in life. I wish I'd had more time with him.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? He finished well.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe (automatically get new episodes), rate & review (help spread the word!) this podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Today is your day. Live Inspired.