Jun 25, 2020
As we're in the midst of the storm! COVID-19, economic recession, social unrest and injustices and yet...
Today's guest is a welcomed reminder of the special people continuing to do extraordinary things every day. Dr. Art McCoy's radical yet practical intervention as Superintendent has transformed his district from a “dropout factory” to a 100% graduation rate
This inspiring conversation will spark unity + offer you concrete ways to be a change agent in your community.
DR. ART MCCOY'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The Bible, The Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau and The Road Less Traveled by Scott Peck.
[To learn more about privilege versus oppression + the journey of healing, Art recommends Stamped from the Beginning by Ibram X. Kendi and Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome by Dr. Joy Degruy.]
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Courage to go bigger.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? A collage of my great, great, great grandmothers who were slaves.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Myself 10 minutes before death.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? My brother's last words to me were "Keep doing what you're doing."
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Be faithful to what you know is true and follow your heart. Sometimes you have to go through it to grow through it.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? SAGES: Severing achievement gaps that exist in students + severing attainment gaps that exist in society.
My new book IN AWE is now available... and became an instant bestseller! Learn how to rediscover your childlike sense of wonder to unleash inspiration, meaning and joy. Visit ReadInAwe.com today!
Did you enjoy today's episode? Share it with your friends! Then subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts.
Live Inspired with John daily on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram + get his Monday Motivation email.