Jul 26, 2018
Charles Rosen started Ironbound Hard Cider to rekindle the
Newark economy by hiring it's chronically unemployed, formerly
incarcerated population. James Williams is one such
employee who shares his passion for working as a crew chief on the
Reimagine what's possible in business, life, community, social
enterprise + sustainable agriculture on today's
- "The Ironbound Hard Cider community is blended, guys wearing
'Make America Great Again' hats sitting side-by-side with black
gang members from Newark and they treat each other like
- This business is an unintentional exploration into how to
address the biggest gap that exists in our country: Urban v.
- "We are much stronger as a collective then when thinking only
of our own individual pursuits."
- Helping people shift out of a state of chronic poverty takes
time. I'm not seeing entities in any sector willing to put in that
- Instead of a winner take all approach to business, our approach
is that my success shouldn't come at the expense of yours. My
success should actually be connected to yours.
- If you like this podcast, you will love Live
Inspired IN STUDIO.It's my membership community
where like-minded friends join me via live webcast to live
inspired together. Registration opens soon! Join the waitlist.
- This is what success should feel like, service to the
- Our guys know that the past does not define them and that they
have the capacity to define their own future.
- Read the article about James that he read to his kids here.
- "I feel blessed, happy, and like I'm doing
what I'm supposed to do as a father. A beautiful lesson:
If I can do it, he can do it."
- Listen to another episode with inspiring ideas around hiring
and building a business around cause and community onEp. #85 Amy + Ben Wright,
JAMES WILLIAMS’ LIVE INSPIRED
What is the best book you’ve ever
read? Biography of Makaveli, Tupac
Shakur. Tupac was naturally someone people looked up to
in the urban community.
is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you
wish you still exhibited today? Listening. Listen first.
Ask questions later.
house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have
the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it
be? Honestly nothing, I'm good.
are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the
opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead.
Who would it be? Obama. I'd ask, "How did you do
5. What is the best
advice you've ever received? Don't give up.
advice would you give your 20-year-old self? I wish I
could take it back. I would have been in a different place, but I
do accept where I am at now.
been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in
one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Very
optimistic, eager to learn and capable.
If you enjoyed today’s episode:
Subscribe, rate & review wherever you get your
podcasts. See you here next Thursday!
Live Inspired with John every
day on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram
and get his Monday Motivation email: www.JohnOLearyInspires.com/Monday-Morning