May 4, 2017
"Coaching is a vocation to reach men who need to be reached."
His Dad left when he was 4. His Mom's 4th husband shot at him when he was 17. Bill Courtney didn't have male role models at home, but he found them on the field and in the classroom.
Today, Bill is a business owner, husband and father who believes: Giving back isn't something nice to do. It is a responsibility.
Bill chose to coach football in an impoverished North Memphis High School for a team that had won 4 games in 10 years. Through the tenants of love, consistency and self-assurance, he turned the team - and many lives - around.
This story won the Oscar for Best Documentary in 2011 for UNDEFEATED. I recently watched this movie with my wife and we were both so moved I knew I needed to get Bill on the show to share his story with you. Here we go!
BILL COURTNEY'S LIVE INSIPRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The Bible.
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. What would you do? I would pay off all the debt in my business and home. I'd create a trust for my kids so they'd have a good start but still have to work. Donate the rest to worthy causes.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? My wedding ring.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Christ. I would have him explain a couple things. I would talk about Romans 8 and 9. I would talk about how come so much science and so much theology agree and then so much of it also disagrees. I would ask him to explain why the social ills we are facing today are in such contrast to so many of the natural feelings we have as human beings.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Don't tell people what they want to hear, tell them the truth, tell them what you are going to do and do it.
6. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself at age 20? don't try so hard to prove yourself to other people.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Through the grace He's shown me, I've done my best to offer grace to others.
Live Inspired – IN STUDIO: Registration is now open through May 8 - don't miss it: Learn more: www.JohnOLearyInspires.com/In-Studio
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe (automatically get new episodes), rate & review (help spread the word!) this podcast anywhere you get your podcasts.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Today is your day. Live Inspired.