Apr 16, 2020
My friends, the coronavirus pandemic is affecting each of us in some way. I urge you, Live Inspired community, to keep you + your loved ones happy + healthy. I want today's episode to instill some sense of normalcy and provide positivity + hope in this uncertain time.
Sunday marks the 25-year anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing. Many of us were left searching for healing + hope after the deadliest domestic act of terrorism in our country's history. Two mired in darkness were Bud Welch, a father of one of the victims, and Bill McVeigh, the father of Timothy McVeigh.
Before learning about the astonishing forgiveness that led to an extraordinary friendship between Bud + Bill, Jeanne Bishop shares her own transformative journey to reconciliation. Jeanne, author + law reform advocate, details what led to finding forgiveness with the murderer of her sister + brother-in-law.
Today’s emotionally powerful episode will inspire you to see the hope, freedom + joy that comes from forgiveness + reconciliation.
Bill McVeigh + Bud Welch's Story:
JEANNE BISHOP'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? I used to see stories in my head, write poetry, make up songs, see magic in the forest.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? Nancy's cross. She had a beautiful gold cross on a single gold chain that laid against her heart as it stopped beating.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? My grandfathers. They had so much wisdom and I was too little to know it.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Pastor John Boyle asked me, "What are you waiting for?"
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Listen to the still, small voice of God before it has to become a megaphone.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Give your life away.
To help combat fear, isolation and other uncertainty around coronavirus, I created a 21-day challenge to inspire our community to focus on what they can control and to remain ferociously optimistic that their best remains ahead. Sign up for the IN AWE 21-Day Challenge here.
We are just a few short weeks away from launching IN AWE! Preorder your copy today to receive access to fun, interactive bonus features emailed to you in the lead-up to the book’s release! Visit ReadInAwe.com.
Did you enjoy today's episode? Share it with your friends! Then subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts.