Jan 28, 2021
How can you boldly walk forward
from unfathomably challenging circumstances? Jonathan
Pitts, pastor, author and
father of four joins us to share how he did exactly
this after he tragically lost his wife.
Jonathan vulnerably shares his journey of loving
Wynter, how he coped with losing her, and how he
continues to find peace, strength, and hope in keeping
her legacy alive.
Our encouraging conversation will remind
you that even in the most difficult
times, the best of our days remain ahead.
- Jonathan’s mom, a White German-American, met his dad, a Black
man, at a music school in New Jersey.
- Having an Identity: Growing up in a bi-racial
family, Jonathan is thankful his parents raised him with faith as
it provided him strength.
- As a member of the ROTC program at Drexel University, Jonathan
expected to serve his country yet met + quickly fell in love with
his wife, Wynter Evans.
delight in the Lord, and he will give you
the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4
- Raising four
girls five years old and younger + seeking a greater purpose,
Wynter started For Girls Like You,
a magazine that evolved into devotionals, books and many other
tools for girls and their parents. Learn more here.
- July 24, 2018:
- 3:45pm: Jonathan approved the manuscript of
their book Emptied: Experiencing the Fullness of a
Poured-Out Marriage, which he now gratefully calls a "time
capsule of our marriage".
- 7:44pm: Unexpectedly, Winter makes her quick +
quiet entry into Heaven.
- Opposites compliment: Jonathan shares the
differences that caused struggles early in their marriage were the
things they most loved, appreciated + admired later.
- Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if
anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
- Why are dark moments holy moments? (C.S.
Lewis) Jonathan shares the emotional, sacred and deeply personal
moment surrounding Wynter's passing in hopes of showing that death
- Have no fear of sudden disasteror of the ruin that overtakes
the wicked, for the Lord will be at your side and will keep your
foot from being snared. (Proverbs 3:25)
- Solace in solitude: While grieving, Jonathan's
learned to embrace stillness and credits it in healing his mind,
heart and faith.
- Get a copy of Wynter + Jonathan Pitt's book Emptied:
Experiencing the Fullness of a Poured-Out Marriage here.
- Get a copy of Jonathan Pitt's book My Wynter Season
JONATHAN PITTS'S LIVE
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Dr. Meg
Meeker and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you
possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited
today? More hopeful + optimistic.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and
people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one
item. What would it be? Photos speak so much to me so
an album of my family over the years.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a
gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long
conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be?
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever
received? My dad would always say, “all you have is your
name,” as a reminder to maintain a good reputation.
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old
self? Just relax. Everything is going to be okay.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have
their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to
read? Act 13:36 - David served the purposes of God for his
generation and then he fell asleep.
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies
wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the
results will follow. They set themselves apart with a
forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and
fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud
sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast.
Learn more about Keeley