Jul 25, 2019
Are you discontent even though everyone around you thinks you
“have it all?”
Lloyd Reeb, founding partner of Halftime Institute, is on a mission to help you
ensure your next season in life is defined by joy, impact, and
Today, Lloyd will remind us of the importance of not just doing
what is valuable, but doing what is priceless. Regardless
of your age or what you can bring to the marketplace, Lloyd
will encourage you to get clear, get free and get going.
- How can your second-half be even more impactful, fun and joyful
than the first half was?
- At 14-years-old, Lloyd's father helped him purchased a few
acres of land, charging interest which taught him values.
- “What do I need to do to pass down the values of generosity,
honesty, and hard work before passing the monies down.”
- A successful building developer inadvertently taught him the
importance of significance beyond success.
- The exposure to what was happening around the world inspired
Lloyd to serve or give back to others.
- Lloyd was introduced to Bob Buford, author of best-selling book
Halftime. Because they
naturally bracketed the movement of people wanting to renew
themselves at mid-life, they created The Halftime Institute.
- “Sloppy busy”: Your calendar is full but
you have a nagging lack of focus and leverage that you had in your
- Resist the temptation to start working on the solution
and take the time to think through your core
- Gallup's Strengths Finder 2.0
played an important role in their children being heard. Get a copy
or each other's strengths like I did with my family.
- Halftime is a remedy, not a strategy: Think
about who you are and then the work you’ve been given.
- Don’t just jump in and get “sloppy busy.” Take time to reflect
on who you are and the best place you can give back. Ask yourself:
- When was I at my best?
- What was the most painful experience in my life and what did I
learn from it? Very often our pain from the past calls out a path
for our future.
- Think about who you are and not the work.
- Valuable vs. priceless: On one side of the
paper, write a list of all the valuable things your life. On the
other side, write the priceless things. What are you doing to
protect the valuable versus priceless things?
- The Halftime Institute: University for the
second half of life, a place where people blessed with success,
begin to explore how to make the second half even richer +
fulfilling than the first half.
- Have a healthy mid-life renewal: Get
clear, get free,
- Intentionality: Lloyd strives to help
other leaders be more intentional in not only how they give their
time away but also building a world-class family.
If you enjoyed hearing how Lloyd is moving from success to
significance, you'll love hearing Live Inspired Podcast guest Jill
Blashack Strahan share how she created a successful business during
a tragic season in her life on ep. 18. You'll also love hearing
Live Inspired Podcast guest + graffiti artist Erik Wahl share how
the dot-com bust in 2000 led him to reevaluate his life on ep. 80.
LLOYD REEB'S LIVE INSPIRED
1. What is the best book you’ve ever
read? The Bible and Ordering Your Private
World by Gordon McDonald.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you
possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and
people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one
item. What would it be? I have seven “Book of
Days”. Every day, I keep an artifact of someone’s life that I’ve
affected, touched or helped.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a
gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long
conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it
be? Historian David McCullough.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever
received? My mom taught me it’s better to give than
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old
self? Marry Linda Walker. She's taught me relentless
7. It’s been said that all great people can have
their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to
read? 100x: I’d like to take what I’ve been given and
invest it so it produces 100 times that blessing or impact in other
Did you enjoy today's episode? Subscribe, rate
+ review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts!
Live Inspired with John daily on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram
+ get his Monday Motivation email.