Jan 25, 2018
"I go to bed feeling grateful and I wake up grateful."
Mike Mattingly is living life in reverse, and he couldn't be happier about it. Though he has always had a passion for music, it's never been his full-time gig. He plans to change that, though. Like the message in his song Growth, Peace & Gratitude, Mike continues to develop and change, experience life's ups and downs and with acceptance, find peace.
Music has been a form of therapy for him. He was a self-described nervous child who battled anxiety. His mother introduced him to drums and through percussion, he found a sense of balance and peace.
Mike and I are great friends. He has played at my Christmas party for the last 5 years. Last year, I hosted an event at the Sheldon Concert Hall in St. Louis and asked Mike to play there as well. In short, I like Mike a lot.
Today, Mike joins us to share his experiences with anxiety, play some of his music for us, and offer advice on reinventing yourself at any age.
MIKE MATTINGLY'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. What would you do with it? Pay off all debt, pay off my house, and take care of my family and friends.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? All our DVDs and pictures. Perhaps my guitar "Marty" as well.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? My mom and dad. As far as a famous person, Prince.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? My dad would always say, "right is right."
6. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself at age 20? Everything is sound.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Growth, Peace & Gratitude.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe (automatically get new episodes), rate & review (help spread the word!) this podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Today is your day. Live Inspired.