Mar 29, 2018
"Don't stand by, stand UP."
Sue McCollum is the Chairman and CEO of Major Brands, Inc., an 80-year-old, family-run operation and the only liquor distributor in the U.S. run by a woman. But it wasn't Sue's dream to run a large operation.
Her husband, Todd, was planning to run the company his grandfather founded and one day - pass it on to his children. Needless to say, plans changed after Todd was diagnosed with brain cancer. Sue, in short, "stepped up."
Almost immediately after Todd's passing, Sue was labeled "Liqueur Widow" by competitors and the press as long-time clients were pulling out of agreements.
Sue will show us that it's possible to not only fight back, but do so honorably. And that you can run a successful business based on strong values.
My friends, join me and Sue to learn how to harness resilience, overcome adversity and live inspired.
SUE McCOLLUM'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? North Toward Home.
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. What would you do with it? I would set up a foundation. I would begin to solve, from a research perspective, how we provide better education and opportunities for people who didn't have what I had.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? There is a photograph of my sons. I would grab it.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Marv Levy.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? It came from my second boss, my first woman boss. "Sue, don't beat yourself up. Others will do that for you. Never do it to yourself."
6. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself at age 20? Take more risks. Be a badass.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? I tried hard.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe (automatically get new episodes), rate & review (help spread the word!) this podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Today is your day. Live Inspired.