Feb 27, 2020
Is this good enough for me to stay the same?
This is the life-saving question Laura McKowen, author of We Are the Luckiest + one of the foremost voices in the modern recovery movement, asked herself.
From a horrific DWI to the painful incident that left her 4-year-old daughter in danger, Laura shares her personal journey in choosing sobriety with the utmost vulnerability + candor.
But this is more than just one person's journey of using addiction as an invitation to living more intentionally. Today's powerful and thought-provoking conversation will inspire you to practice self-forgiveness and free yourself of shame and guilt.
If you found today's episode inspiring, you'll enjoy my conversation with Fr. Tom Hoar. On Live Inspired Podcast ep. 134, Fr. Tom shares his own stories of redemption + healing - including his own - through the poignant question "have you had enough?"
LAURA MCKOWEN'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The History of Love by Nicole Krauss.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Playfulness.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? A painting from my late-grandma.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Poet Mary Oliver. She was the master of paying attention and exquisite way of turning the very mundane into the profound. Her poems have saved my life.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? It's okay to practice. You're not performing all the time.
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? My instinct is to say, "you don't need to drink" but I'm so grateful I went down the path I did. I'd tell her "you're going to be loved."
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Less me. More God.
Pre-order your copy of IN AWE today to receive access to fun, interactive bonus features emailed to you in the lead-up to the book’s release! Visit ReadInAwe.com.
Did you enjoy today's episode? Share it with your friends! Then subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts.