Apr 22, 2021
Studies show that Americans work longer hours and have more
stress-related illnesses than their European and Japanese
Bucking this statistic Megan Hyatt Miller is chief executive
officer at Michael Hyatt & Co., recently named a 2020 Best
Workplace by Inc. Magazine, a ranking of American
Megan and her father New York Times
bestselling author + leadership expert Michael Hyatt
wrote Win at Work and Succeed at Life to coach
leaders through the principles that helped them rethink work and
productivity to discover the "double win" —a perspective that sees
work and life in partnership, not opposition.
Today's conversation is full of practical tips that will
help you break free from the cult of overwork. Join us to
rebalance, reprioritize and reimagine what success looks like for
- "We either have regret or fear having regret."
- "We cannot do it all and have it all. What we can have
and do are the most important things." To avoid being
swept away by life's opportunities and challenges, Megan identifies
nonnegotiables in self-care, her relationships and professional
- Double Win: a perspective that sees work and
life in partnership, not opposition; producing excellent
professional results while achieving significance in the 10 domains
- Hustle Fallacy: doubling down during a
particular busy period of work, never to return to "normal".
- Ambition Brake: Refrain from reaching
full professional impact in fear of the Hustle Fallacy.
- “Breaking free from the cult of overwork requires interrupting
the negative feedback loop with new and better ideas. That’s why we
wrote Win at Work and Succeed at Life. We want to offer
our fellow high achievers some of that hard-to-come-by common
- Constraints foster productivity,
creativity and freedom. As the global pandemic struck, Megan's team
adopted a 6-hour work day. While reducing work time by about 25%,
they've exceeded their profit goals by 50%.
- “Work is like water. It’s life-giving. It also flows wherever
it can unless otherwise constrained. We need hard edges to access
its life-giving properties."
- How to develop constraints in your
life: Schedule what matters, turn off notifications
on devices, establish boundaries with others, and empower loved
ones to remind you when you're not living into your
- Megan refers to the mission-critical balance top-performing
athletes like Tom Brady + Serena Williams must exhibit, reminding
us that proper work-life balance is proven to produce positive
results in both aspects.
- Make room for a profitable pause: A
fulfilling, non-achievement hobby rejuvenates the mind and body,
producing more engird and better ideas.
- Get a copy of Megan Hyatt
Miller's Win at Work and Succeed at Life here.
- What is the best book you’ve ever read?
Radical Candor by Kim Scott.
- What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as
a child that you wish you still exhibited today?
My artistic abilities.
- Your house is on fire, all living things and people are
out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What
would it be?
Memories and pictures of my boys in Uganda before we adopted
- You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous
beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with
anyone living or dead. Who would it be?
Martin Luther King to ask his insight on the cultural moments after
- What is the best advice you’ve ever
My dad, Micheal Hyatt says, "everything is
- What advice would you give your 20-year-old
I'd tell her to let go of the fear of public speaking because it's
too small of a thing to let it control you and you'll actually
succeed at it.
- It’s been said that all great people can have their
lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to
Everything I did was motivated by love.
Join our Live Inspired Together community, text
PODCAST2021 to 314-207-5010.
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies
wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the
results will follow. They set themselves apart with a
forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and
fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud
sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast.
Learn more about Keeley