Jul 22, 2021
Howard Behar, retired president of Starbucks, joined the
company when they had 28 stores and grew that number to over
15,000 during his tenure. A successful leader, speaker,
author and mentor, Howard is best known for
his generosity and integrity.
Hear how Howard influenced the growth of Starbucks, his
tips on how to be a servant leader + why leading
with values is the best recipe for success.
Rewatch the livestream
- At 15 years old, Howard's father left his family in
Bulgaria to immigrant to Seattle where he saved his money from
pushing carts in Pike Place Market to open a small grocery
- Not everything we do in life do you need to be paid
for. By not charging a struggling family for strawberries,
Howard's father taught him a valuable lesson that influenced how
Howard began his work at Starbucks.
- Dreaming of the benefits he'd offer employees if he owned a
company, Howard noticed how in sync they were with Howard Schultz,
recognized as the modern-day founder of Starbucks.
- Be one of the most well-known and respected
organizations in the world known for nurturing + inspiring the
human spirit. While a young professor at Stanford, Jim
Collins joined to develop Starbucks iconic mission
- Howard Behar's 6 Ps: Purpose, Passion,
Persistence, Patience, Performance and People
- “The person who sweeps the floor should pick the broom.“
- “The enemy of life …. is indifference.”
- Get a copy of Howard Behar's bestselling books It's
Not About the Coffee and The Magic Cup.
Did you know
the Live Inspired Podcast has nearly 5 million (!!!)
downloads? Tune into the most downloaded episodes in 2021
featuring the inspiring stories of comic Sebastian Maniscalco,
Netflix co-founder Marc Randolph, ABC New’s Paula Faris and
HOWARD BEHAR'S LIVE
- What is the best book you’ve ever
read? The Boys in the Boat by Daniel
- What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as
a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Be less
- Your house is on fire, all living things and people are
out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What
would it be? My photographs.
- You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous
beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with
anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Desmond Tutu.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
- What advice would you give your 20-year-old
self? Figure out who you are early.
- It’s been said that all great people can have their
lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to
read? He set out to nature + inspire the human spirit
and guess what he did.