Jan 23, 2020
Human trafficking is a massive, worldwide problem. It's estimated that 20-40 million people are victims of this form for modern slavery, and our communities are not exempt.
Today I welcome survivor Rebecca Bender to share her harrowing journey from being human trafficked for nearly six years to now helping other survivors escape + rebuild their lives. In Rebecca's story, you're going to hear what she's been through, what she learned along the way and most importantly that you're not defined by what you've been through.
My friends, today's conversation is incredibly emotional, important and timely. Human trafficking, specifically sex trafficking is a topic we seldom talk or think about, but one that's happening, quietly, all around us.
On Live Inspired Podcast ep. 82, I welcomed Christine Caine to share her story. As a global anti-human-trafficking abolitionist, Christine was honored with the 2017 Mother Teresa Memorial Award for Social Justice for her work. Listen to Christine Caine on ep. 82.
Pre-order your copy of IN AWE today to receive access to fun, interactive bonus features emailed to you in the lead-up to the book’s release! Visit ReadInAwe.com.
REBECCA BENDER'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? God's Leading Lady by T.D. Jakes.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Innocence and trust. I wish I walked into situations almost more expecting the good.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? The Bible from when I got saved 17 years ago. It has every note and every promise God has ever given me, highlighted and dated.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Martin Luther King Jr. and I'd ask how he got through the pressure, how he radically changed a nation, where did he start... I have so many questions!
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? "Run now, you can do it." If I couldn't run, I'd say, "It's going to be okay. You're going to be okay. Your daughter is going to be okay. You're going to get through this."
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Against all odds, I will shine.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts!