Jul 20, 2017
"How you respond to adversity determines the story you
Life came at Ben hard and fast. When he was 6 months old,
his divorcee mom was diagnosed with a rare disease and given
only a few years to live.
The above quote is one Ben gleaned from his mother’s journal*,
which he received 10 years after she passed. The time capsule of
her positive attitude preserved in the journal swept Ben away.
Today, he shares her worldview as a performance coach, speaker
You're going to love Ben’s story, heart + concrete tools to
build the business and life you want. Don’t miss it.
- Life is tough but we have it in us to keep fighting.
- Black boxes: We all have these places where we
tuck away things we aren’t ready to deal with. (For me, that was my
mom’s journal.) The stuff that takes you deep and makes you ask: Is
it time for me to go there?
- Don’t wait too long to take on the stuff that
hurts. Real challenges show real character. Have courage
and surround yourself with people who help give you that
courage. That’s when you’ll find a deeper level of inner
- Everybody has a story and everyone is writing their story. My
goal with clients is to help him/her connect on a deeper level to
what he/she is capable of achieving.
- Right where you are, right now, in your life: It is
part of your story. It’s likely not the end; just a
- Learn and grow where you are. The life you
want, you can get if you:
- Have a strong vision.
- Believe in that vision.
- Are willing to put the work in every day.
- Why am I trying to control something I can’t
control? When I asked this question, it helped me move on
in my professional path.
- Think about where you want to go, personally and
professionally. Write it on paper “I am: a marathon runner” and
believe in it. “I am at this level in sales.” Once you
understand where you’re going, that’s how you build a prize fighter
- Make every day a “prize fighter
day.” What does this mean? Take your goal and break
it down into what you need to do today to ensure you
eventually meet your goal. If you spend your day this way, you’re
having a prize fighter day.
- Darren Hardy, The Compound
- Create habits that are sustainable longterm.
- A successful mindset is one where we focus on solutions rather
than the problem.
- Focusing on solutions rather than problems = the power to
- Identify what you can do that is positive and keep your mind on
- How you choose to respond to adversity determines the story you
- Ben’s purpose statement: to educate, empower and inspire
individuals to uncover their passions and desires to seek a greater
vision for themselves.
- If you don’t know why you’re doing something, identify the
purpose because it’s what is going to get you back up.
- @ContinuedFight on twitter and Instagram
*Ben’s mom’s journal:
BEN NEWMAN'S LIVE INSPIRED
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
Destiny, Robin Sharma. If you’re looking to find your
purpose, this is a great fable format that will do it for you.
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly
dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. Donate to
Barnes Jewish Hospital in honor of my mother. We donate a lot for
my mom, so I’d want my wife to get to pick some places to donate to
her passions, too. I would definitely fly on a private jet because
it is hard to be on the road and miss family time. To catch 30 – 40
more nights at home? I would do it!
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people
are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one
item. My mom’s journal.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous
beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with
anyone living or dead. Who would it be? My mom. I would
just hold her hand and hug her and I’d be crying so hard I couldn’t
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever
received? It’s not how long you live it’s how you
choose to live your life. Advice from my mom.
6. Looking back, what advice would you give
yourself at age 20? Never settle; emotionally and in
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their
lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to
read? Leave your legacy.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe (automatically get new
episodes), rate & review (help spread the word!) this
podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Today is your day.
Live Inspired with John everyday on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest and
get his Monday Motivation email: www.JohnOLearyInspires.com/Monday-Morning